View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 02:44 AM   #205
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
tiles stay where you put them unless you move them. what are you trying to setup? nothing about a factory install of windows 8 on a new computer takes days to set up that i have seen. what are the "basics" that you are referring too?

edit- oh the tiles do move within a group when you drop a new one in the middle of a group
That's exactly it. My wife wants her 'icons' to be arranged in a specific order, but when we drag a new one in to the home screen they all jump about. Every time. And dragging with touch is a nightmare, more than half the time you accidentally start the application. Using the mouse is easier, but it's not an interface built for a mouse.

I'd go straight for start key followed by typing, but my wife doesn't like that. Much of the frustration is coming from her wanting things a specific way - within the metro interface - but it's all jumping around.

She's been installing her Office software - the ones she owns, not the demo versions supplied - but is at a dead end trying to link email and contacts to the apps on the home screen. I think we'll just unpin them and she can go straight back into Outlook 2007. The problems may stem from an issue with her Windows Live account not being the email address she wants. I don't know. I've not had enough time to get to grips with it.

We've watched the Microsoft intro to Windows 8. We've read the supplied Dell version of Windows 8 for Dummies. I've been working in IT for 15 years...

I'm sure it will just take time and throwing out preconceptions, but this is not intuitive.

Windows 8 feels, at this point, as though it is two completely separate interfaces interfering with each other. You breathe a sigh of relief when you're back in the familiar desktop. But it isn't. It's like there's a tablet interface running at the same time and you need to be dealing with programs and apps separately.

Doubtless we'll get used to it, and I can see that launching things via Metro is no slower than before, but for now it just feels awkward to have your whole screen replaced by a different UI when navigating.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote