View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #40
jtt
Connoisseur
jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: PB 622, PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolog View Post
on my pb this is what I see ( '*' here are 'square' char on PB):
That's to be expected - vi sends VT102 escape sequences that e.g. tell the terminal where to put the cursor etc. (e.g. "<ESC>[24;1H" tells it to draw the next character at the first position in line 24) and they aren't interpreted by pbterm (which is much too simple-minded for that). Thus to get vi to run in some useful way you'll need a program that "talks" to vi, interprets all those escape sequences and then presents what it got back from vi in some human-readable form. Without that vi isn't usable on the PB. And you also will need a different keyboard that sends each characters as it is typed in immediately to vi.

I'm just looking into that. Unfortunately, the vi that comes with BusyBox is already rather limited in what it can do, and then the guys at PocketBook configured it in a way that cuts it further down to the bare bones. The worst is that they didn't enable window resizing, so it always expects to be connected to a 80x24 terminal, which, of course, is rather large for the PB screens (ok, you may display 24 lines with a still readable font, but then you'll never be able to show 80 characters per line). That won't make it any easier.

Perhaps it would be better to install a "real" vi and then work with that instead of trying to work around all the limitations of this castrated version of vi...

Best regards, Jens
jtt is offline   Reply With Quote