View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #34
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
W7 puts lots more demands on/of hardware than XP.

RAM (sweet spot): ~3G old MoBo's may not support more (size/qty)

Processor may be missing features (my old AMD Athelon has no SSE2)

Only has PATA/SATA 1.5 (slow)

Drivers (as mentioned) and replacement Hardware to keep it going.
(AGP and PCI (not PCI-E) boards are getting hard to find. (I just sent my ISA collection to the recyclers).

FWIW I just did a fresh install of XP pro (I accidentally dropped a new menu tobe item onto the Start button. It was so bad, I could not even run regedit The bad part: OMG HOURS. Install XP from the Mfgrs disk, apply SP3, Apply updates. The start putting back programs (and using saved settings).
I did find overall visual differences (probably, minor errors crept in over 7 years of use) that are not user setting related. Oh, did I say it runs faster, too.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote