View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 12:48 AM   #104
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Now if someone is prepared to spend the time posting what the variations are that the plugin should handle then I can take a look.

I would just fix .body & @page in the css. (And, of course, zero the xpgt)

I did some keyword searching across a large bunch of epubs and concluded that those were the only commonplace 'book level' margins found in commercial epubs. If that doesn't solve it, it's too complex for this plugin

The next level would be to look at Calibre generated epubs, but then it gets messy fast.
I think the older versions of Calibre put all 4 'book level' margins in .calibre in the css, but the newer Calibre puts the top/bottom margins in each split, rather than the css, so that's not readily fixable. The left/right margins are in .text in the css.

On the other hand, it seems to me a Calibre generated epub has a really good chance of surviving a Calibre epub->epub conversion intact, so maybe that's the easiest way to adjust margins in that case.

Thus just using this plugin to tweak epubs you don't want to risk doing a full conversion on.

The other special case is books with multiple css files. I'd suggest they're too complex for this plugin too.

So while I'd just modify the simplest cases (which covers the vast majority), it might make sense for Check Epub to also identify some more complex cases.

I like the idea of this being able to add @page margins to the css too.

Maybe somebody who actually knows what they're talking about should revisit how Calibre handles 'book level' margins
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote