View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #22
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
No. No need; it won't fit in a pocket (I have a denim jacket with perfectly-sized large pockets on the inside) easily, and it's not optimized for book reading. I do not need newspapers or textbooks or PDFs at this time. This answer may change if I ever do.

However, it is not leftie-friendly; it has NO controls along the left side, and as a southpaw, I find it more comfortable to hold the Kindle in my left hand while I'm reading. I do appreciate 'next page' being on both sides, though, as I do move it back and forth if one hand gets tired. The XL not having controls on both sides is a big negative, and I don't get why that is so when ambidextrousness was a selling point in one of the K2 videos and photos of the K1 show prev/next page on the left side just as is the case with my Kindle 2.

However, my boss might like it. He's right-handed and is the PI in the lab I work in, and he has shown an interest in reading books on Kindles, but he also has a very large library of PDFs from scientific journals (I have 2,012 articles stored on my hard drive right now, and he has those and many more) and the DX would make it possible for him to read them more easily than on the screen of his Macbook Pro (albeit the color in images would be lost) without printing them. I don't usually need to read most articles when not using my MBP, so the Kindle 2 I bought for recreational reading is perfect.

For that reason, I sent him an email with a link to the product page and a summary of its features, along with "if you buy one, I do want to see it!".

Last edited by Buran; 05-07-2009 at 12:02 AM. Reason: It isn't leftie-friendly!
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote