View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Ah OS X, then no. It may be that someday OS X gets decent MTP support, someone would need to fix the libusb port to OS X for that. libusb currently tries to wake up suspended devices, which causes hangs on some OS X machines. That means it cannot be used in calibre until the hanging is fixed.
Hmmm. libusb is an open source project. I wonder if anyone is working on that over there. Isn't MTP relatively new? I guess someday someone may fix libusb for OS X. Meanwhile us deprived OS X -ers will suffer MTP deprivation. Much more survivable than oxygen or water deprivation. It's not worth the trouble to install a Windows partition just to have MTP. Now, a Linux partition might be interesting on its own merits anyway…

Edit. Dec 2007 MTP 1.0, I just looked at the spec. That's not so new….

I'll look into setting up a Linux partition, been meaning to do that anyway. What Linux flavor do Linuxphiles recommend? Or is the answer to that, a different flavor for each particular Linux addict?

Or is the libusb problem related to a hardware implementation of USB ports on certain Macs, in which case MTP wouldn't work from Linux partition on those Macs either?

Last edited by unboggling; 09-20-2012 at 01:37 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote