View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #60
jswinden
Nameless Being

I might understand buying a Fire if the content was very affordable. I've got Amazon Prime, and I rarely use it for content. Why? Because it is insanely expensive. One episode of a TV series show from five years ago costs $1.99 in SD and $2.99 in HD. Why buy SD when you have mega-pixels? Get the HD, even though it might only be 720p, or it won't look very good on all those mega-pixels! So $3/episode to watch reruns! WTF! With prices like that Amazon can afford to give away the Fires!

I realize the new Fire 7 HDX will have a terrific screen for reading books, but the last time I saw Kindle on a Fire it wasn't anything to get excited about. The iOS app was better. And if you are into non-Kindle reading apps then you don't have any advantage in getting a Fire.

As far as the carousel, the video I watched late last night showed it still there. You can swipe upwards to make it scroll up and out of view to display a screen full of icons, but it is still there. I bet it will be the default view every time you turn the Fire on.