View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I had though "five thirty five" would seem less formal.

In the States, I have heard "quarter of six" but it's rare and pretty much archaic now vs. five-forty-five.

Another one that's U. K. specific is "It's gone seven!" (U. S. = "It's after seven!")

If you're scheduling say a dentist apppointment, would you expect the receptionist to say, "On that date I have something open at twenty past six?" Here you'd likely get " ... I can do six twenty"
Same in the UK when you're doing appointments etc except more likely to be "Is six twenty all right/OK?"... twenty past six is conversational...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote