View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #45
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Without meaning to, I may have been a bit misleading in previous post about our new upcoming club year. I said that as far as I could see then, probably not much would change for the upcoming club year. However, after more thought, I’d like to propose somewhat of a “change of course” for our club, or at least a trial of it.

For various reasons, I’d like us to try something a bit different. The plan is to try alternating months, where one month will be a normal category and then the next month will be sort of a “rotating” selections category. In these rotating months, we’ll take turns choosing the selections to be put to the vote. So, for instance, one month one member will choose a selection of nominations and then those nominations will go to the poll, where as usual all of us will vote on which will be the monthly selection. Then the month after will be a normal category again, then the month after another rotating selection where another member will choose the selections for the poll, and so on.

In this way we’ll have six regular category months and six “rotating” category months per year, alternating back and forth throughout the year. The idea is that everyone will take a turn at some point, hence six months of it a year so that everyone will get a chance within a year or two - that all the regulars who participate in nominations most every month will have a go, and then also that any semi-regulars or new members who are interested can also have a go if they’d like.

As far as who goes when, I think we’re a small enough and amenable enough group that I’d like to leave it up to us. I don’t think we need to plan too far ahead. I see something like us simply keep a running discussion going in say this thread, and people can volunteer for an upcoming month. If needed, this can be tweaked as we go along.

With this plan, each member of our little club will have a chance to have a nomination of theirs be chosen as the monthly selection. We’re at a perfect size for something like this - large enough to be a healthy group but small enough so that each person can have their turn in a reasonable amount of time. And I feel like we know and respect each other so I feel confident that these rotating months will be filled with good, interesting selections.

If for some reason it doesn’t work well enough, we can always revert back to all regular categories any time. The lottery month that was coming up in August anyway is a perfect month to begin, so we’ll replace with it with a rotating selections month and consider it our first trial month and see how it goes.

The idea is for these months to be comfortable, fun months for members; I want everyone to feel like it’s simply part of the club to have a turn at some point, and no big deal since everyone will have a go, and trust that the atmosphere in the club will be to treat each person’s rotating selections nominations with positivity and respect.

The plan hinges on participation. Are you willing to participate in the rotating selections? I’d like to get an idea of how everyone feels about this (and I’m hoping this sounds interesting and exciting to all of you). We’ll still have six months for different categories as well, but I see this as sort of an evolution for our club. So, what say you?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote