View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #75
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I think so but it has enhancements not yet available for the PW1. the PW1 is on 5.3.8 and the PW2 is on 5.4 as quoted on another thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
No, at least not out of the box.

Whether the older firmwares can be installed on new devices, or vice-versa, will have to be figured out by testing.
Lately, I was contemplating the PW2 to replace my 1st gen K4; but I'm beginning to have reservations about the lack of next gen software upgrades being ported over to previous gen devices. I can understand when it doesn't happen because the hardware is incapable of supporting the latest OS; but when it is capable and not supported, then I have to wonder why.

For example; I have a Fire HD 7 (2012) and my son has a Fire HD 8.9 (2012) and so far, neither will get the next gen OS. Yet, the Fire HD 7 (2013) will get it; even though it has the same CPU/GPU as the Fire HD 8.9 (2012). What gives?

With Apple, you get several major OS upgrades before they pull the plug. My iPt4 came with iOS 4 and received upgrades to iOS 5 and iOS 6; and that's where it'll end - no upgrade to iOS 7. The hardware is too old and that makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is Amazon's failure to upgrade 1st gen Fire HD's to Fire OS 3. Thankfully, my HD 7 is my secondary tablet and the new enhancements aren't a big deal. But if it was my primary tablet, then it would be a really big deal.

So now I'm waiting to see if the PW1 will get the same software features as the new PW2 before I seriously consider upgrading from my K4. If not, then I'll put my decision on hold and reconsider when it goes on clearance.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote