Thread: Cover Design
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #51
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
I believe more and more that you don't need New York word counts to make a story worthwhile.
No, I don't think you do either. Especially in the digital age where there's no worry about lost costs for printing smaller word counts. As long as everything is wrapped up in a tight little bow and reads the way it should read, then you've done your job. Now, if you've written a 40k romance story with no romance then you've got an issue. I love walking through B/N and checkin out their old western section. Most of the stuff there is no more than 2" thick. Makes me smile, but I think there's a bunch that would be turned off by it. Especially if it's not children or YA. Hell, some of my YA fantasy is larger than my big boy books.

And THAT I don't understand.

I've always had trouble producing something more than 80k. I think I peak at around 65k. It's a perfect length for me. Anything more and I start to dread writing it. I've been more of an "in-the-moment" guy lately. And I'm still shocked when I load it into my 505 or Kindle and it checks in at around 250 ++ pages.

Wasn't it elmore leonard that said "Don't write the boring stuff." or something like that.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote