View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kobo has no "Search" capability. This is a very basic feature which is one of the main benefits of an ebook over a paper book, and it's something I use frequently on my Kindle.
Uhm, but that's not true - Kobo Touch has a search function.

The search function on the Kobo Touch is in fact quite good. You can search the library and can also search in books, not only single words but phrases as well. Results show a part of the passages found containing your word or phrase as a preview in the search menu.

When you tap that preview, it takes you to the actual page, but leaves a menu open to return to the results if that was not what you where looking for, or to go to the next or previous result by tapping an arrow.

Also you don't have to type in words/phrases but you can highlight them in the text and select search.

Edit to add:

Main disadvantages of the Kobo Touch (for me - mileage my vary):

- No shelves (but search function is really good, so I haven't missed the shelves - have more than 500 books on my Touch). Shelves can be enabled by a plugin and will hopefully be supported naturally soon.

- Dictionaries are not very good. English-English is okay, German-German and Englisch-French, too, but the rest is not so good. And it's quite a few steps to open dicts. Also there's "translate" and "definition" instead of just "word lookup", which is annoying if you select the wrong one because you'll have to highlight the word again.

- I switch hands often and it takes 6 steps to change the tapping areas. Also, there are only three different ones, all of them vertical.

Besides of that, I am quite content with my Touch.

Last edited by Jaden; 04-09-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote