View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I was thinking about a project I attempted with the old CD-ROM set where I tried to transfer them all to a few DVDs. It could have worked, if how the software looked up the pages needed was by the folder names (they were sorted into folders named after the year and month of publication.) That didn't work, but I found that there was lots of unused space on each of the 31 CDs, and a copy of the database and software was stored on every CD-- so there was around only 350 MB or so (as best as I can recall) of actual data on each CD, and all the data could fit on around 3 single-layer DVDs (DVD-5s.)

This new set comes on 6 DVDs. I doubt that they would put it on 6 DVD-5s if they could have fit it on fewer dual-layer discs (DVD-9s), so I assume this is 6 DVD-9s, or around 48 GB of space-- around 4x the space that is used by the old 31 CD-ROM collection. So that would imply new, better scans. It'd be great if they included all the multiple-page maps and the audio recordings that came with a few issues, too. (None of that was included last time.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote