View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #41
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Ha, well that explains it: all the things you like are the opposite of what I was looking for Although, once I was using FBReader, the customizable keybindings were a big pro (I would generally use the arrow keys for pageturns, holding the netbook portrait-wise).

My priorities were:
5. Adjustable margins
4. Totally customizable font/background colors
3. 90 degree rotation
2. True fullscreen (no visible GUI)
1. Opening quickly to the current page of my current read with all of the above settings as I'd left them, and loading each new book with those settings in place.
If you know CSS, calibre's ebook reader is extremely customizable. Margins, fonts, colors, line spacing, etc, basically anything you can do with CSS you can do by providing custom CSS in the reader settings, and that CSS applies to every book you open in the reader. Keep in mind that cablire's ebook reader is really an epub reader (if you try to view other formats, calibre does an epub conversion before displaying the book), epub is just html+css in a zip container, and calibre's display is just an embedded webkit browser. Calibre also tracks your place in each book as you read. Calibre leaves #3 for the OS to handle. #2 is the only thing in your list that calibre can't do right now.

Personally I don't like reading on a PC because the resolution (as in pixels per inch) is too low. But I use calibre's built-in reader all the time for validation when messing around with books (changing margins and such inside of books after ripping off DRM and verifying the changes I made look right, for example).
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote