View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 02:37 AM   #271
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
By making it an additional crime to be stolen FROM.
... Last month, I was robbed. [...] I did report the crime to the police. I did not give them a list of books. I don't have one. There were a couple hundred ebooks on the device. Some people, in similar situations, would not report the theft to the police... if someone stole my ereader from my backpack, it might be days or weeks before I noticed it.
I'm sorry you were robbed. However, in my "proposal" (this word makes it more structured than it really is...) if you report a theft of your media library to the police, media companies cannot ask that you are prosecuted if any media you purchased up to the date of the report is illegally distributed.
Quote:
It's possible to add identifying info--invisible watermarks--to non-DRM'd books, but that means running code at the time of sale or download, with personalized user info... there's expense in setting up such a system, and probably OS compatibility issues. Such options won't be available for small companies.
This is the kind of thing I was thinking about. I'm not convinced at all that the processing overhead would be so great. Even if the load per book is high, how many books are purchased per second? Especially if you are a small publisher?

I don't think that the system to embed user data that I hypothesized for my "social DRM" needs to be more robust than current DRM towards removal.
The main force towards preventing illegal distribution will be the fact that people will not give a copy of their files to any friend of a friend who asks them, because they will know that those files could end up on the net... with the embedded data in place.
Quote:
Additional hassles: the law change you're suggesting is only going to work in one country. If the original buyer's not in that jurisdiction, the law will be irrelevant.
Isn't it like that also with current DRM systems? Also: I'm not sure that a change of law would be necessary. Maybe only a change of Terms of Service would do.
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote