View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 11:21 PM   #14
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
A few years ago, I saw a dog-powered butter churn that was actually used years back in northern PA. It was basically a treadmill, but for a dog to generate the mechanical motion and churn the butter. I kid you not!

I'd have to imagine that a solar powered reader would make the most sense. I haven't kept up with current calculators, but have the solar powered ones caught on, or have they gone the way of the dinosaurs? If they don't work for calculators, I don't see them popular for e-readers.
I once had a small white dog that could do a standing jump from the floor onto the kitchen table. I found out why she did this when I came home unexpectedly. She liked to lick the butter dish!

I see solar calculators all the time. One could devise an add-on charger to plug into the charger jack on the reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I think the solar power idea makes the most sense, as people need light to read, but I'm very intrigued by the yap-triggered ultrasonic squeaker. Where can I get one???
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Hey mogui, can I get the plans for that ultrasonic yelper?
If I were to build one, which I won't because I have no tools here, I would start with a 555 timer for the ultrasonic generator. There is a good circuit here. It uses a piezo buzzer at 82 db. I would try that first, just using it manually close to where the dog is. If it startles him into silence, fine. If not, you can run the output through a mono amp, which is available cheaply as a kit. Select your tweeters by specification, as they need to be heavy duty.

BTW I like this site for circuits.

The basic problem with the switch is to select one that has a momentary action. Most designs are of the clap-on clap-off variety. here is one that can be adapted easily, I think. It is tunable for frequency. In fact this circuit could do the whole job if you fiddle with the frequency of the final stage.

Let us know if you build one.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote