View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #102
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
I take "Apple had expected to order 19 million displays for its iPhone 5 in January" to mean that was the original order.
Then he would have said "Apple had ordered 19 million...", surely?
He is not claiming that Apple ordered 19 million, he is claiming that Apple were going to order 19 million, but didn't.

Quote:
And that 19 million amount is consistent with Apple's past quarterly sales figures for their flagship phone.
It would be a good increase on their previous figures.
In the equivalent quarter last year, Apple sold 35 million iPhones, or a bit under 12 million per month. And that was their second best quarter ever. Across the whole of 2012, they sold 10.5 million per month.

Quote:
The phrase "had expected to order" is merely the reporters wording, a semantical difference.
I expected to go to work today.
I went to work today.
One of those statements is true, the other is not.
They are clearly two very different claims.
He is not claiming a measurable fact (what Apple had ordered), he is claiming knowledge of their intent (what they expected to order).

Quote:
I think it's pretty clear that they had essentially ordered 19 million screens from the vendors in question.
That really, really isn't clear.
Even if you assume that all the information in the story is true, it wouldn't actually say that.
You seem to be putting an awful lot of blind faith in this story.

Last edited by murraypaul; 01-17-2013 at 12:44 PM.