View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I always buy Kindle ebooks from a PC using a web browser, but I know many Kindle owners like to use the sample option (which is only available via whispernet). With this approach you download the sample and if you like it you can buy and download the entire ebook from the Kindle. This is only available via Whispernet and so only available in the US. Newspapers are also less convenient without Whispernet.

However, no other current ebook reader has anything like whispernet (with the possible exception of the iLiad, which as WiFi but has never exploited this fully). The Kindle Store is worth paying extra for, even without whispernet. It is without doubt the best single source for ebooks, but its downside is that it is the only source for DRMed ebooks for the Kindle. It is why I am keeping my Kindle 1 even though I do most of my reading on a Hanlin. If you have an iPhone you can get access to the Kindle store without a Kindle but for this to be useful on another EInk device you have to be willing to circumvent the DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote