View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #8
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaika-Dzari View Post
Hello eveyone,

My first post Thanks in advance to help me

Like probably most of you, I'm an avid reader; mostly scifi and fantasy in my case...
No more place to keep the books I buy, so it may be the right time to check for an ereader.

But, I have a couple of question and I'm not really sure what should I buy.

A couple of info to guide my choice :
  • I'm a Linux user
  • I'm canadian
  • I want to read books. Manga is a bonus. I don't want a tablet...
  • I hate DRM
  • Max 150$

Since I'm canadian, the choice is more limited. The 3 on my list are the Kindle, the last Sony or the kobo touch.

So a couple of questions to help me make a better choice :
1- Is it possible to make the initial setup without a computer (I presume there is no support for Linux)
2- Can I buy books directly from the ereader ?
3- Like I said, I hate DRM. I pay for my book and I refuse to keep DRM file on my device. Is it possible to strip DRM on Linux for one of these ereader ?

My personal opinion is that the advantages of using an ereader far outweigh the loss of the user experience in reading an actual physical book, at least for me. I have extensive experience with the Kindle including the Keyboard and the Touch, extensive experience with an older Sony, and no experience with the Kobo. Based on my experience, I would choose the Kindle touch. It works very well with Linux, and can be set up without resort to any Windows programs. Haven't tried Manga but imagine the experience would lose quite a lot from the lack of colour.

So far as DRM is concerned, just Google Apprentice Alf. If you have no moral objections to removing or circumventing, and it is not illegal to do so in your country, then I understand it is trivial to set things up to do so. Regional restrictions are more of a nuisance, but once again can be by-passed if you care to do so.

Finally, I should add that if you do need to use ADE it works great under Wine or Crossover.

Good luck.

Last edited by darryl; 08-18-2012 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Add section on ADE and Wine
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote