View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 05:39 AM   #30
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
@Ransom, is it safe to come back yet? I was hoping you'd hit me with feedback on my calibre work habits and any bad assumptions I might have made about how calibre works. I didn't expect a rant about perceived calibre shortcomings and personal aspersions about anyone, except perhaps me. Personally, I think you missed the whole point. There is other book management software, I even reviewed one and compared features with calibre in the calibre forum back in January or so when I was an even fresher noobie. I looked at several apps before realizing they might be able to do one or two things well and had simple GUIs, which I liked as a generally-spoiled Mac user, but they couldn't do a lot of things well, and that though calibre had learning curves that at first looked daunting (and some still look daunting to me), it would allow me - with some learning involved first - to accomplish a lot of things. I use it as my personal learning tutor/tutorial/teacher to learn about how eBooks work. If I wanted simple I'd use something else and not learn as much.

Edit: If any particular complexity is somehow bothersome, why do you continue to do it?

Edit2: I agree with Kovid's first post in this thread, that calibre is designed to be used by noobies and also by advanced users. Nobody says you have to use any feature.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-11-2011 at 06:07 AM.