View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 03:28 AM   #166
ricou
Enthusiast
ricou doesn't litterricou doesn't litter

Device: bebook
impressions on my new Kindle DX Graphite

Hi there,
I received my Kindle DX Graphite Yesterday. It took only three days to get from their place to mine (Switzerland).

I had a few moments to play with it and when I get the chance I will put it side by side with my Kindle 2.

As posted before, it does have a better contrast. That is the the first thing you notice right away. The navigation is identical to the Kindle 2, so you will not be lost.

My purpose was to read PDF. So I tried 60 MB technical PDF document. It takes a few seconds to load and to go to the next page takes more time than for a simple book, but the PDF is easily readable. And anyway if one page is difficult to read, juste rotate it and it will be displayed in two pages.

I tried it with Comics as well, same great results, it would load quicker than the technical file (size of the comic was around 20 MB). It went flawlessly.

Last but not least I tried another 60 Mb file for a RPG book. This book had a lot of pictures in it, and the background was also a picture made to look like old paper.
This background showed white. And some picture were replaced by black boxes, so they did not appear.

I will try to see whether I can improve that by converting this PDF to a PDF more suited to Kindle using Calibre. It seems strange that for some pages, the picture did not appear while it did for others.

But all in all, I am very satisfied with my new purchase. I do not regret not purchasing an iPad instead, I would have gotten video and colour, but also backlighting which is killing me for reading.

Cheers
ricou is offline   Reply With Quote