View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Another way to transfer books to the EB1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Thank you DixieGal/Zelda_pinwheel
Awsome, I'll install the software tonight. I did not realize I needed another software to uploaded files to the EB1150, I guess it explains why I just couldn't get it.
It isn't necessary to buy new software to do it. It's just the easiest way for most people to do it.

I have a little piece of hardware that reads SmartMedia cards (as well as other types of "flash" memory cards). I also have two 128 MB SmartMedia cards. I transfer the books directly to those cards from my computer, using the flash media card reader.

When I insert the card into my eBookwise, it converts each of the books and - voila! - I read without paying for extra software.

There are a few...quirks...to doing it this way:
  • Never insert or remove a SmartMedia card when the eBookwise is turned on. It is possible to break the EB1150! If you're lucky, it'll only kill your (relatively expensive) SmartMedia card. So always make sure the EB1150 is turned off and your finger isn't resting on the power button when handling the SmartMedia card!
  • When the eBookwise converts the books, there has to be enough available space on the card for approxmimately 2x the size of the book it's working on. (This is also true of reading the books). So it's a smart rule of thumb to leave at least 1 or 2 MB unused on the card.
  • There is a limit to the number of files that can be saved to the "root directory" of any "drive" on a Windows computer. I don't remember what it is exactly, but I've hit it copying books to the SmartMedia card more than once. The first time it happened, I had no idea what was going on and panicked (thought I'd killed the card). But I now know not to try to copy more than around 35 books at a time. Not a problem for me, I just put the card in the EB1150, let it convert them, and then put it back in the card reader and add the remaining books!

By the way, if you didn't buy the optional SmartMedia card when you purchased the EB1150, Nate has a thread open where he bought 10 new SmartMedia cards in a lot from eBay and is looking to sell the ones he doesn't need for himself. His price is $28.50. The cheapest I've found online for the same 128MB card is $40 (at Amazon or memoryten).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote