View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSaunders View Post
One of the most common complaints I've read about the Kindle 1 was the lack of a lock. I'm just not cool with a gizmo that's authorized to spend my money on Amazon not having any sort of password/PIN. I've just been through the Kindle 2 manual, admittedly not hands-on, and this feature is not listed anywhere.

I actually like the Kindle 2 a lot, it's as thin as my Sony Reader. While the inability to make anonymous purchases seemed "to hard" for Amazon, adding a "password on startup" was widely prophesied. It's a deal-breaker for me.
It doesn't need a lock. It's not as easy as you think to make purchases without the original owner knowing as you would think. All they could buy is books and the original owner would be notified of any purchases via email and could have Amazon remove the books and issue a refund. If you've lost or had you Kindle stolen and you de-authorize it, the finder or thief can't even buy books.

A thief doesn't have access to your credit card information because they don't have access to your account because they don't have your password. So even if they surf to Amazon via the browser they still can't buy anything with your credit card.

Now if you're silly enough to have all your credit card and ID information in a file on your Kindle... all bets are off.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote