View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 04:38 AM   #6
kiwikobo
Enthusiast
kiwikobo doesn't litterkiwikobo doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
This is a "version 1.5 wishlist" thread, then? :-) That'll make the Kobomen happy...

I would like to see a few more options on the "display" menu, which wouldn't be hard to implement. I find "smallest" a fraction small for the resolution of the display, and "small" a bit bigger than I'd want. "Medium/Large/Largest" are presumably useful for accessibility reasons, but why are the font sizes biased so far towards the "large" end. Adding a couple more breaks in the smaller end would be nice, or even better just allow a specific 'normal' font size to be shown (this is viable because it's at the final display stage of a fixed piece of hardware, before the CSS junkies start claiming that fonts shouldn't be declared in points).

Similarly, it would be easy enough to allow variable justification, margins, and line spacing. One way would be to allow a small piece of CSS to be uploaded to the device to be activated by an option on the menu -- for example "p { margin: 0; margin-top: 0.5em; line-height: 110%; }", which would override the ebook itself (by automatically being considered "!important" in CSS terms. It seems to me that this wouldn't get in the way of non-techies wanting to use the book in a straightforward manner, but would enable others to fiddle with pretty much anything in the overall layout.

Control the shutdown timer? Now, it goes into 'sleep' mode after 15 minutes is that right? And it comes back out pretty instantly. But it never goes from there into "off" mode does it? It certainly shouldn't. It would be a pain if this were to happen. Will report back in the morning! EDIT: yes it does, after 15 minutes it powers off completely. This is a disastrous step backwards. What lunatic thought up that? Note to self: when installing 1.5 firmware wait for someone else to do it first to find out what clueless modifications have been included.

A couple more fonts would be nice, and/or the option to upload a font to the reader perhaps (rather than having to embed the fonts within each ebook).

Someone else suggested putting the current time on the 'display' or other menu, that would be nice. But I would imagine it would also fit in the bottom right hand corner of the screen at all times, which is after all where we're all used to seeing a clock...

An option on the menu to remove the current book from the "I'm reading" list.

That'll do for next week anyway :-))

Last edited by kiwikobo; 07-02-2010 at 06:09 PM.
kiwikobo is offline   Reply With Quote