View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 03:03 AM   #60
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Bookeen
I like pretty much anything in any genre that is not too dark(he dies, she dies and everyone else is miserable), has good character development and a complex, consistent world view. I don't like pages of discussion of obscure science trivia that have a limited impact on the plot. Or, for that matter, pages of obscure mythical history with no impact on the plot(like in a fantasy epic I recently read). I don't know if that makes what I like 'soft'.

Books I have enjoyed are
Lois Bujold--Miles Vorkosigan series, especially the prequel 'Cordelia's Honor': Very funny, and kind of 'space opera', but lots of exploring social conflicts and the effect of technology on society(whithout shoving your face in it)
Verner Vinge--A Fire Upon the Deep and his short stories. Excellent characters and a gripping story.
Connie Willis--To Say Nothing of the Dog Kinda borderline SF I suppose; involves time travel, so there is historical stuff as well

Of course, it would take years just to read all the suggestions in this thread! Years well-spent, of course...

edit--Sorry to hear of your allergies, Neko--they are miserable!

Last edited by momghoti; 05-23-2008 at 03:05 AM.
momghoti is offline   Reply With Quote