View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #58
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Must be some other women they're talking about.

Does she like philosophy? I'd suggest C.J. Cherryh's Wave Without A Shore. Orson Scott Card's Songmaster might also be a good choice. If she likes politics, Frank Herbert's original Dune is a classic. I think Heinlein is a little heavy on science and engineering for someone who doesn't like those subjects, though he has great characters and tells a ripping good story. His "Young Adult" books, e.g. Have Spacesuit, Will Travel are quite good. Um... Arther C. Clark's Dolphin Island is very readable, and rather less on science than characterization.

It would help to know what else she likes to read. I could make better recommendations, then.

Edit: Somehow I missed seeing that this discussion went on for 4 pages before I posted. Knowing that she liked Ender's Game, I would recommend John Barnes' Orbital Resonance and probably Ian Banks' The Player of Games. I also highly recommend Card's Speaker for the Dead (I didn't think the books after that were quite as good) and probably Ender's Shadow, which tells a story overlapping the time period of Ender's Game, but from the point of view of Bean, one of the other characters. I liked the sequels, but others have given them mixed reviews.
I was wondering when you'd get in this one Neko.

I love your suggestions. Any more?
You know, all the ones you gave me so far are in my reading plan or I've read them since.
You go girl!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote