View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #16053
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "When in Rome", the 26th book in the "Inspector Alleyn" series by Ngaio Marsh, originally published in 1968. Alleyn is posing as a tourist in Rome, on the trail of a British drug smuggler believed to be operating from their. The supposed smuggler is operating an exclusive tour company, and Alleyn joins the tour, only for tragedy to follow.

As with the previous book in the series, "Clutch of Constables", this is a superb book, one of the best in the series. Marvellously atmospheric and a fascinating cast of characters, all of whom it seems (in the finest "Agatha Christie" tradition) have their reason for wanting to commit murder. But what a contrast this is to Agatha Christie, with her cardboard 2-dimensional characters. Marsh's characters are "real people" whom you can empathise with. Thoroughly recommended.

On next, I think, to Raymond Feist's "Magican", a classic fantasy novel. It's many years since I read this; I'll be interested to see how well it bears re-reading. Well, I hope, given that I've bought all 25-odd of Feist's books .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote