View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
If the duplications occur where there were page breaks, then they will repeat at very specific intervals.

Let me see if I can explain this a little better, so you can see what I am talking about.

Here's an example using some text from "The Wonderful Wizard of OZ"

..... suppose this is the first page .....

Dorothy lived in the midst of the great Kansas prairies,
with Uncle Henry, who was a farmer, and Aunt Em, who
was the farmer's wife. Their house was small, for the
lumber to build it had to be carried by wagon many miles
. There were four walls, a floor and a roof, which made
one room; and this room contained a rusty looking cookstove,
a cupboard for the dishes, a table, three or four chairs, and
the beds. Uncle Henry and Aunt Em had a big bed in one
corner, and Dorothy a little bed in another corner. There was
no garret at all, and no cellar—except a small hole dug in the
ground, called a cyclone cellar, where the family could go in
case one of those great whirlwinds arose, mighty enough to
crush any building in its path. It was reached by a trap door
in the middle of the floor, from which a ladder led down into
the small, dark hole.
When Dorothy stood in the doorway and looked around,
she could see nothing but the great gray prairie on every side.
Not a tree nor a house broke the broad sweep of flat country
that reached to the edge of the sky in all directions. The sun
had baked the plowed land into a gray mass, with little cracks
running through it. Even the grass was not green, for the sun

..... now the second page .....

running through it. Even the grass was not green, for the sun
had burned the tops of the long blades until they were the same
gray color to be seen everywhere. Once the house had been
painted, but the sun blistered the paint and the rains washed
it away, and now the house was as dull and gray as everything
else.
When Aunt Em came there to live she was a young, pretty
wife. The sun and wind had changed her, too. They had taken
the sparkle from her eyes and left them a sober gray; they had
taken the red from her cheeks and lips, and they were gray also.
She was thin and gaunt, and never smiled now. When Dorothy,
who was an orphan, first came to her, Aunt Em had been so startled
by the child's laughter that she would scream and press her hand
upon her heart whenever Dorothy's merry voice reached her ears;
and she still looked at the little girl with wonder that she could find
anything to laugh at.
Uncle Henry never laughed. He worked hard from morning till
night and did not know what joy was. He was gray also, from his
long beard to his rough boots, and he looked stern and solemn,
and rarely spoke.

Did you notice that the last line on the first page is repeated as the first line on the second page? This is how some e-readers work, and all I can figure is that you got a file that was page formatted like this. This is the only way that the file could have these kinds of duplications, but that they would not be noticed by your friend that sent you the files.

Sooooo, the ONLY way you are going to be able to read it properly, without the duplicate lines looking funny, is if you can get the pages to display THE EXACT SAME WAY (with the same page-breaks, so only the last line at the bottom and first line at the top repeating).

Can you see what I am talking about now?

Don't go by how the MOBI file looks in Calibre, as the Calibre MOBI viewer is pretty bad (actually coverts back to EPUB for viewing!).

So check to see if those duplicated lines seem to correspond to uniform intervals of approximately every page or so.

If so, you will have to get the pages in a fixed page PDF format, with all the duplications nicely grouped at the top and bottom of each page (like the Wizard of OZ example above), if you want to view them on the PRS-650 without major hassles.

There may be some software that will take out the duplicate lines, but I have never heard of any, so that's why I suggested that you just figure out how to get the book to read with the original page-breaks.

Again, for the PRS-650 the ONLY format that offers this kind of "fixed paging" is PDF, so that's why I suggested that you get your friend's original PDF files and then set your font to 'small'. That should make the pages view in their original arrangement. With a duplicate line only at the top of each page (which you very quickly learn to tune out, as the way the page feed is supposed to work)

Edit:
Sony LRF format may also have a fixed page format, I not sure. In any case, just get the exact same files your friend used and USE THEM (making sure to set your reader to it's default 'small' font size so it doesn't override the paging).

If the originals are not available, and the files you have available have already gone through a conversion that has caused the original pagination to be messed up, then there is nothing you can do except perhaps try to find some Script Writing Guru to write a custom script to remove the duplications.

Last edited by delphin; 02-08-2011 at 11:17 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote