View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Amazon's got another new program, this one called Kindle First. According to this post Prime Members can get one of the featured books each month free and non-Prime members can get it for $1.99.

Anyway, what makes it relevant to this thread is that one of this month's titles is No Place for a Dame by Connie Brockway
Quote:
I bet you remember your first major crush. Mine was Mark, who lived across the street. When I read No Place for a Dame, I was transported right back to the summers of my Midwestern childhood, when I would long for a glimpse of Mark playing football or delivering the newspaper on his bike. Now, 1819 Regency London is very different from twentieth century Michigan. But Connie Brockway's lush love story returns you to the giddiness of your first crush. Connie describes the hero, Giles, as "golden and gifted." I actually called her up and teased her about taking my Mark story for this book! And that's the thing about Connie's work. It's like she's writing about something that actually happened in your life, or that you hope will happen.

Our heroine, Avery, is just as overwhelmed by the light-headed promise of new love as I was. She's been enamored with Giles since they were kids, growing up in his wealthy family's ancient castle by the sea. And it's easy to see why. Giles is the epitome of a Brockway hero: brooding, mysterious, charming, and the owner of any room he walks into. And yet I think I fell for Avery almost as much as I did for Giles. She's strong and opinionated, and she can't stop talking when you get her going about her life's passion - astronomy. Her humble background, her wicked humor, her real-life vulnerability... I was charmed by it all.

But the thing I love most of all about No Place for a Dame is the triumphant ending. You're relieved that Avery's background won't hold her back any longer. You're satisfied that a surprise plot twist resolves itself with a big, unexpected bang. And you're smiling because you're seeing a love, a first crush, no longer unrequited.