View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #103
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
I put 3 epubs I made with dotEPUB (Chrome Extension) from Webpages and added them to a shelve "Websave"; so far they are still in there

What I find a little confusing is differentiating "Toggle WiFi" and "WiFi On/Off" now, the first refers to toggling the Airplane mode, the label (for shortness) was my suggestion. What it does is inhibit the Kobo to use Wifi automatically, though it asks if I want to establish a connection when trying to open the browser or alike. Airplanemode is a great mode for me as is for many reasons, since the Kobo only will use WiFi when I specifically ask for it, but let's me use it by confirmation and stays in AP-mode anyway.

WiFi On/Off on the other hand let's me control the connection directly, whether I am in AP-mode or not, ist does just what it says: starts WiFi or stops it no matter what mode I am in. Since there is no use for manually switching on WiFi if I don't want to sync or use the browser, and I get WiFi by starting sync or browser anyway, this switch really only makes sense in a setting, where WiFi-Timeout is not used and I want to stop the connection manually.

This could be optimized by maybe only showing the option to stop Wifi manually if it is running, and show nothing if it is not. Better yet this could be done by tapping the WiFi-symbol in the top statusbar when active, keeping it out of the menu completely.

If that^ cannot be done and both entries have to stay in the menu, we should think of new labels to clearify the difference.

Maybe "Inhibit WiFi" for Airplane-Mode and "WiFi on/off" for the manual WiFi-switch...

In my usage scenario I will probably leave the timeout active and have only Airplane-mode in the menu, keeping AP-mode active all the time to go online only when needed. To be able to tap the topbar WiFi-Icon to cut connection at any time to my liking would be a nice extra...

Last edited by voom; 02-02-2012 at 07:06 AM.
voom is offline   Reply With Quote