View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Custom Japanese-English dictionary

The original opening of this post is now out-of-date, I therefore put in into the spoiler. Start with the newest dictionary file (dicthtml-ja.zip). It should be ok for most purposes. If you really need to search the Japanese dictionary, install the two other files and read the spoilers. (In more recent firmwares, for instance 3.12.0, you can rename japdic01.zip and japdic02.zip to dicthtml-ja-en, dicthhtml-ja-de or similar; cf. also this post.)
Spoiler:
MOTIVATION FOR BUILDING A CUSTOM JAPANESE-ENGLISH DICTIONARY
The Japanese definition dictionary that is available for the Kobo Touch and newer models turned out to be of not much use to me. First reason is that my knowledge of Japanese is rather small and that I therefore need a translation dictionary. In an attempt to improve my situation, I added to the entries of the Japanese definition dictionary all matching entries from the EDICT. Only after this I became aware that the KT handles queries to the Japanese dictionary rather inadequately and that the chances to get the appropriate definitions are rather little. For an attempted explanation and a proposed solution, see this post. This solution requires a small change in the software and I hope we can see something on these lines in a future FW.
Even without changing the software, it is still possible to apply the basic idea of the proposed solution. There is, however, one server drawback without the change, and this is the high number of required chunks. Actually a decent Japanese dictionary requires more chunks than the format of the Kobo dictionary file format allows for. I therefore split the dictionary into two partial dictionaries.

CONTENT OF THE DICTIONARY
Part 1 (japdic01.zip) contains those entries of the EDICT that start with a Jouyou-Kanji.
Part 2 (japdic02.zip) contains
- all entries of the Edict that start with a Kanji beyond the Jouyou range
- all entries of the Edict that start with a Katakana character
- all entries of the whole Edict, except those starting with Katakana, but this time rearranged in a way that makes them available via Hiragana writing.
As you see, I did not especially treat those entries that have a mixture of Hiragana and Kanji AND start with a Hiragana.

INSTALLATION
In order to install this dictionary one has to sacrifice two dictionaries, other than the J-J and the F-F dictionaries (those two do not work properly). For the following explanation I presume that you sacrifice the Spain-Spain and the Dutch-Dutch dictionaries.

1) make sure that the Spain-Spain and the Dutch-Dutch dictionaries are properly installed on your reader.
2) delete the files dicthtml-es.zip and dicthtml-nl.zip in the directory {driveletter}:\.kobo\dict of your reader.
3) rename japdic01.zip to dicthtml-es.zip, and japdic02.zip to dicthtml-nl.zip. Copy both files into the directory {driveletter}:\.kobo\dict of your reader.

If the language of the epub/kepub is defined as Japanese and you point at a word, the original Kobo Japanese dictionary will pop-up, provided it is installed. In order to let japdic01 or Japdic02 pop-up set the book's language to Spain or Dutch (provided that book settings can be changed).
To make full use of the dictionary search function set the user language to Japanese, so that you can type in Japanese into the dictionary search field. (Edit: With FW 2.3.1. you cannot any longer type into the search window of the Netherlands dictionary. I therefore recommend now to rename japdic02.zip to something other than dicthtml-nl.zip.)

Consisting of 64.103 and 15.250 html(gz)-files respectively, japdic01.zip and japdic02.zip are far more fragmented than the other dictionaries. Since I tested them only for a very short time I cannot say how they influence the overall performance or the power consumption of the reader.

NEW: With FW 2.3.1 the dictionary engine for Japanese has improved a lot. I therefore provide the EDICT for this version. In addition to the materials available in japdic01.zip and japdic02.zip it contains also all entries starting with fullwidth Latin characters (e.g., "S造" and "100円玉").
Unfortunately one has to replace the original dicthtml-ja.zip by this one, since renaming the file prevents it from functioning. A possibility to use the information of both dictionaries (the one provided by Kobo and the Edict) is to merge them into one. For copyright concerns I do not provide such a merged dictionary here.
As it is even under FW 2.3.1 impossible to type into the search window of the Japanese dictionary, japdic01.zip and japdic02.zip are still more convenient to use in many cases.

Spoiler:
See this post for some tips on how to use the three files together to get the most out of them.

DISCLAIMER
You assume total responsibility and risk for your use of the provided files; use at your own risk.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
This package uses the EDICT dictionary file. This file is the property of the Electronic Dictionary Research and Development Group, and is used in conformance with the Group's licence.

I would like to thank several forum members and especially those posting at this thread for advice and encouragement.

EDIT: With more recent firmwares, the name of the Japanese dictionary has been changed to dicthtml-jaxxdjs.zip (instead of dicthtml-ja.zip).
Attached Files
File Type: zip japdic01.zip (18.94 MB, 1622 views)
File Type: zip japdic02.zip (9.83 MB, 1356 views)
File Type: zip dicthtml-ja.zip (14.54 MB, 1748 views)

Last edited by tshering; 03-23-2017 at 06:05 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote