View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #38
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Do you also read the future in the entrails of a recently killed animal? Maybe you should have read the words backwards and see if they had some hidden meaning. I often think that people try too hard. OSC writes fantasy and science-fiction, not some Literature that has been carefully constructed so that it drips with hidden meaning and allegory, and they are rarely so obvious as a baptism in the river. I've seen commentators read all sorts of things into Lord of the Rings, I feel like shaking them "It's fiction people!", stop trying to be so clever.
While I might agree about Ender's Game, I think it is pretty clear that J.R.R. Tolkien deliberately layered Christian/Catholic themes into The Lord of the Rings. He was being more subtle than his friend C.S. Lewis was, but not so subtle that a bunch of them can't be found without looking very hard.

That being said, even when it is unintentional, I think a writer will often include themes in their fiction that reflect their world view. Now some of them, like those that show up in Ender's Game are held by many more people than just Mormons, but it doesn't mean they aren't there.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote