View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #71
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
There is a significant difference. With a weather widget, I can see the forecast at a glance, without having to enter the app - time saved. With an email widget, I can read the subject and first line of the email, so I see if I need to read the rest and reply or can go back to whatever I was doing.

Yes, they are not essential, just like having phones is not essential (you can always go back to using drums to communicate, or smoke if that's what floats your boat), but they make things easier.

Edit: if proof were needed

Source

Interestingly enough, those are 10 features that are available on android.
So someone agrees with you, maybe many someones... it doesn't change my viewpoint... and you've given the exact thing that makes the point for me... weather widget... on all the time, got nice update, phone locked up later, needed complete restart... locked up after a few minutes, needed complete restart... wasted yet more time on the net finding out that update was flawed and needed an update to fix, wasting more time... didn't find it a great timesaver after all that then it takes turning wi-fi on followed by at least four clicks to get to the actual data I want - takes two clicks on browser to get same info without potentially lethal updates...

As for 10 features most wanted... not by me and, anecdotally of course, not high on the list of great needs from any of half a dozen iPhone using friends and equally not high on list of must-have, must-use options from a similar number of Android phone users... still whatever floats your boat but having live icons continually doing things is going to be completely switched off on any damn device that tries to do it...

And contrary to your patronising, "you can always go back to using drums to communicate, or smoke if that's what floats your boat," not wanting something that works to be continually updated with flash style but no real content doesn't mean I don't use my Android phone and iPads for several hours a day most days...

Last edited by elcreative; 06-24-2013 at 06:41 PM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote