View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #273
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
Like Yolina, I've been subjected to reverse snobbery for reading "literary" or classic novels, or worse yet, history or other non-fiction. I am also a proud life-long reader of science fiction & fantasy, which comes as a shock to many women I know of similar age (fast approaching my sixties) who are devotees of romance and best sellers. My tastes in music are similarly wide-ranging which also raises some eyebrows. I don't think my tastes are superior or inferior - they're just my preferences. However, the more people with few preferences the better - shorter waits for "geeky" library books!

Oh, and right now, am reading: The Inventor and the Tycoon - Edward Ball (history / true crime); the second book of Ford Madox Ford's Parade's End; and DC Universe Secret Origins - bound reprint of classic superhero comic books - highly recommended for those wishing to relive their formative years

FWIW, the diversity of readers on MR is what makes this place special, whether we're talking what we read, how we read, or what we read it on! To each his / her own!
Fellow (sister?) reader of lit fic, non-fic, and especially history (especially social history) who is also "approaching her 60s," here. I read less serious sci-fi now than I did in my teens and 20s (when I was the only female I knew who read sci-fi) and I am also currently reading FMF's Parade's End trilogy. Which I understand is being shown on HBO in miniseries format this week (I don't get HBO).

WHile I don't think I'm a book snob, I am a bit judgemental about people who don't read at all. Seems pretty boring to have to live in the mundane present at all times, that or get your only escape through video formats instead of being able to use your mind's eye to imagine other places and lives.
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote