View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaZg View Post
... well, almost.

I have made the mistake of entering a Canadian credit card on the Sony bookstore, and it now identifies me as a Canadian. Oh, well, I suppose I am.

What's the harm in that? Well, many books are now marked U.S. Only. I checked Sony's FAQ, and they state that "some publishers have not authorized the sale of their books outside the United States". So I went and verified that.

Case scenario:
Author: Terry Pratchet
Book: The Wee Free Men (Story of Discworld)
Publisher: Harper Collins
Marked U.S. Only on the Sony bookstore.

I went directly to Harper Collins web site, in the ebooks section, and guess what? I bought the book! (mind you, not in LRF, but I fixed that, thanks to ConvertLIT and Calibre)... and cheaper than what Sony would have charged me!

So the truth is: Sony doesn't want to sell some books outside the United States, not the publishers! Now, why is that, do you think? I can't figure it out myself... money is money, right?
Actually it's Sony following the rules and Harper Collins ignoring them. It's something you'll often see with British authors in that the Canadian rights stay with the British publisher while the US rights go to an American publisher.

If you look up "The Wee Free Men" on Chapters' website you'll see that the only edition available is published by Corgi. Harper doesn't have the Canadian rights.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote