View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 02:33 AM   #16
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFoxx View Post
I'm really interested in The Road. Can anyone tell me more about those without spoilers?
This is THE ugliest and most depressing book I have ever read.
There are two protagonists - the man and the boy. No names. They travel through completely destroyed country. Everything is gray and black after some un-specified catastrophe that destroyed everything organic. Everything is covered in ash. They are meeting various groups of people. Usually *very* uncivilized and hostile.
They are tired, cold, wet, hungry, thirsty, miserable, scared, and hopeless.
Their dialogs are very repetitive, terse and short, usually dealing with the fact that they are tired, cold, wet, hungry, thirsty, miserable, scared, and hopeless.

There is no punctuation in the text, no quote marks for dialogs. I am very surprised the writer did use capital letters for the beginning of the sentences - he discarded everything else, so why stop at capital letters.

I think that if he wasn't already very famous before submitting the manuscript, his book would have ended up in the garbage bin before the publisher finished reading the first page.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote