View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #39
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I don't particularly think that the numbers must be wrong; what I question is the quoted Retail Director's interpretation, which is a strong implication that (most? the vast majority? what?) people who normally use ereaders prefer paper on holidays. There's no evidence for that whatsoever in the data provided.

What data we did get says that:

"71% of travellers would rather pack their suitcases full of books than opt for a lightweight eReader." Do these people own ereaders? Do they use ereaders normally? We're not told: we're just told that they read paper on holidays. This may be because 71% of travellers don't normally use ereaders, it may be because they polled paper book buyers (eg by locating the survey in a retail paper book store), it may be because of various other things.

We're then told: "Two thirds (67%) prefer the feel of a real book in their hand". To me, this says that the overwhelming majority of that 71% holiday paper readers are paper users who have no interest in ereading at home either, that they do not normally use ereaders.

"Over 1 in 10 (12%) want to leave technology behind altogether whilst abroad" tells us nothing except that a few people get annoyed by constantly ringing cellphones and the demands of work email. Fewer than I'd expect, actually.

So why did the Retail Director want us to think that people leave their ereaders behind while they're travelling? That does not follow from the data. All we know from the data is that most people surveyed (again, where? how was the sample chosen?) read paper books. There's nothing surprising there, and it tells us nothing about travel.

Last edited by meeera; 09-10-2013 at 12:38 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote