View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 02:41 AM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
'Best' Large screen reader?

Ok, first of all, the large screen reader need to have a minimum of 1024x768 pixels, and needs to have PDF playback ability (CBR/CBZ is a welcome bonus but not a must).

I'm thinking of 10" devices or larger!
Price is also important! I prefer readers below the $200 mark, but seeing that they will be more expensive, $375 is about the max I'd be willing to pay for such a device!

I also put battery life at very high esteem! More than 20 hours preferred!
7000 page turns is an average of 1-2 weeks, which is about average for e-ink.

I put little emphasis on if it is e-ink or LCD, because reflective LCD screens no longer are looking like calculators/PDA's of old!
Today they are more looking like the first e-ink screens, which has a nice contrast ratio for reading in everything but the darkest environments!

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices

under chapter "Document Viewers" shows a bunch of large size devices being released hopefully before christmas!

Which do you think will be best suited?

I dislike large frames, and dual screen devices!

I like Asus' design, as well as Iliad's design!
But if it wasn't for the bad battery life of the Iliad, and price, I would have chosen that one.
Asus seems a great device!
The Onyx Boox also seems a great device!

Wifi is also a nice feat, and an SD card is a MUST!

It'd be awesome if it supported Epub, mobi, txt, and HTML/compressedHTML, but those file formats I can read on my current ebook reader!

It would need a CPU of at least 400mHz in order not to have a sluggish page turn!

Audio is a bonus, not a necessity.

Color is a bonus, not a necessity.

3G is a bonus, not a necessity. And in fact, if 3G uses battery even when it's turned off, I prefer without 3G!

What would you buy?

Last edited by ProDigit; 12-11-2011 at 02:50 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote