View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The problem of these threads is they are non-specific and hence meaningless.
Better/superior at what? For whom?
I happen to believe that even doddy old retired WindowsCE is a far superior OS, as an OS, than either iOS or android. And every indication I see is that both RT and x86 versions of Win8 will be merely lapping the competion.
As OSes.

But when it comes to devices people can use, that people can buy, none of that is relevant.
People don't buy OSes; they buy solutions. They buy products.
Now, can I buy a $200 7in WinRT tablet? Nope.
10in at $399? Maybe next month, not today. Maybe it'll come in at $599 and still be worth every penny.
To *me*.
Doesn't mean it'll be worth a flying fig to an android fan or an Apple fan.
Or somebody who has a good handle on their needs and budget.

Now, it so happens the WinSupersite is a very serious, very accurate website that seriously dissects and critiques Windows products and MS strategies. Some they like, some they dislike.
The site does not exist to shill for Windows or to provide ammo in fanboy wars; it does provide meaningful and useful information and opinion for IT professionals and serious users who are considering windows products to meet their specific productivity needs.

If you think everything out of Microsoft is by definition crap, then they have nothing for you. "Move along, move along..."

However, if your mind is open to the possibility that Microsoft's strategy of building a common computing platform (and support services) that can scale from cellphones to mainframes and supercomputers might have some value, then you might want to consider what Mr Thurott has to say; he's been working in the business since at least the Windows 3 era. (That's when *I* discovered his sites.)
He actually uses the products and dissects them so he can tell you not only what works and what doesn't, but *why* it works or doesn't.

Just bear in mind that MS is coming to the gadget business from a very different direction than ad-merchant Google and Hardware Vendor Apple. And they really *are* bringing something new and different into the world. It may or not be something of value to you but don't dismiss it out of hand. They might surprise you.
(Just ask Sony and Nintendo, among others who took Microsoft lightly.)

BTW: Doesn't this more properly belong in Discussions?

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-20-2012 at 05:33 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote