View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I finished reading this book the other day. While I certainly can't agree with some of the viewpoints put forth by Clarence Darrow, it was enjoyable to read about many of the cases he defended. Interestingly, the Scopes trial (subject of "Inherit the Wind" mentioned above), was only discussed in two chapters - about the same number of chapters as other topics in his book. Given the tremendous notoriety of this trial, I expected it to be a significant portion of the book, but it received less discussion than some of the other cases discussed. Overall, an informative read.

I did notice what appears to be a typographical error. In Chapter 15, in the second sentence of the paragraph in which he discusses his marriage to Ruber Hamerstrom, the text reads, in part "...in a succession of rather unusual cases in various parts of the United States which have requited my concentrated efforts...". As I read this, I wondered if "requited" should be "required".

I did not notice any errors other than this possible error, so the overall quality was certainly much better than some of the e-books I have purchased!

Thanks for posting this volume!

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote