View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 08:00 PM   #15
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You think so? I rather get the impression the REB fans are primarily in the "if it doesn't have a backlight it's worthless" camp. That's certainly a viewpoint that's been rather, er, forcibly expressed in the past . These are people who don't WANT eInk because you can't read it in the dark.

One thing that makes it a "legacy device" is the fact that (as I understand) it uses SmartMedia cards for storage. I don't believe that SmartMedia cards are still made, even if the machine itself is.
Now, why would ETI build a brand new E Ink device, use SmartMedia and only market to existing customers? Sounds rather silly, doesn't it?

What I was saying is that if they introduced a modern E Ink reader (similar to everyone else's), but also included some of the interface elements that their older unit has, that would be good. Personally, I liked the two large buttons for paging. Also, some aspects of the software interface were very easy to use. Of course, the old units required a stylus, so ETI would either have to add a touch screen, or change things to work without one.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote