View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Basic jetBook formatting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanx View Post
So does anyone have any preferred formats and methods? the calibre-epub seems to work, tho you loose a lot of format but it's better than mobi, atm.
Caveat: I am really new at ebook formatting, and I don't like spending much time at it, so I've just learned a few techniques and they seem to carry me through most of my ebook conversions (not all). Note that jgray and Kris777 have been the ones to provide links/descriptions to all of this info.

1. I don't do anything with TXT & RTF, since they display just fine. EPUB also seems to work OK for typical books.

2. PDF from text (not images) - I use the PDF program to crop (Document->Crop Pages->All) the white space of the margins. Then I export as text. TXT displays quite well on the jetBook. (note: any annoying headers/footers can be Find/Replaced out). Many times, just removing the margins and viewing it in landscape mode is fine - no conversion required.

3. LIT files. Use LIT converter to convert to TXT. Looked at all possible formats - txt display best (and quite well in general). If there are annoying header/footers you can fiddle around with Find/Replace and RTF format.

4. Some sites, such as manybooks.net, have a "Custom PDF" option where you can format PDF to the jetBooks specs (70mm x 90mm with 3mm margins) - this works great.

5. MS Word docs - save as RTF. You can specify page size to 70 x 90 mm - but that doesn't really seem to make any difference.

Again, this is real quick, basic formatting that takes just a minute or two per book. Considering I may read 1 or 2 books a week it's very little overhead time. That's about all I've done so far, but I have enough reads to last me for quite a while!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote