View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #241
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
Your firmware upgrade zip mentioning glo/mini/touch at:

http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-2.4.0.zip

has a sha1 hash of 1f9a65b3a56cff5a607cc4ccf534adfaa6333127

The firmware zip pushed to my kobo mini at:

http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-2.4.0.zip

has a sha1 hash of 6889967b39fd05ee694142f5a8280fdfba8139d3

Comparing the contents of both zips yield the following differences:

KoboRoot.tgz
manifest.md5sum
KoboRoot/usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so
KoboRoot/usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1
KoboRoot/usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0
KoboRoot/usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0
KoboRoot/usr/local/Kobo/nickel
KoboRoot/usr/local/Kobo/revinfo

All I'm saying is that I wouldn't blindly update any product without knowing for sure that the firmware fits the device exactly. In this particular case it does not.
Oddly, changing the kobo4 to kobo3 in the URL you posted downloads a firmware file which works on the old Touch but has similar differences in some of the files. The software version info under Device information shows version 2.40 with a different 10 digit number and the date has changed to 2013-Feb-14.

A few minutes of quick testing showed no visible differences. At this point, I loaded the feb13 firmware on my Glo and got the same result. The version number stayed at 2.4.0, the 10 digit number changed from 84fbb7111a to 34b1ceb91d and the date changed from 2013-Feb-12 to 2013-Feb-14.

Now comes the fun of speculating what changes were made between the two verions.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote