View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Well, you asked...

Before going on, I should say that it is easy to criticize, but hard to do. I certainly am 'null' at graphics art. That said ...

1) Looking at the icons, I can't tell what function is behind the ones for add book, convert book, send to device, and library. I need to look at the tooltip.
2) The arrows on the convert icon are similar to the arrows on the recycle icon, but one makes something and one destroys something.
3) The circle-I icon is an international symbol for 'here is information', not 'here change information'.
4) I associate the magnifying glass with search, not open a book.
5) The get news icon looks like a 2nd place prize ribbon. (First place ribbons are blue.)
6) The save to disk icon looks like an oil pump gasket.
7) The preferences icon looks like a strange headphone with a crescent moon over it.
8) In preferences:
-- the send-to-disk icon is used for all of send to disk, add books, and send to device preferences.
-- the magnifying glass appears again, but for advanced options. Nothing to do with viewing books.
-- I don't associate a book with a right-pointing arrow with adjusting calibre's interface. Arrows on books seem to mean adding, deleting, and moving books.
-- in interface, the circle I appears again. It is consistent, though, because it means edit here as well.

I also have a problem with the icons moving around. Having them move means that I can't use position as a clue to the function behind the icon, which exacerbates my confusion over their meaning.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote