View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 08:54 AM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
As a consumer, rather than a creator, I'm in favour of any proposal to sort out the current, discredited, copyright system; and the suggestions Ralph makes are valuable additions to the debate.

I just wonder though, what's in it for the creator?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
...But here's the sweetener. As long as you keep pay the rising schedule, you can keep the copyright.
Making them pay for what they currently get for free doesn't seem much of a sweetener - maybe give the author the first five years free .

The proposals address the consumer's biggest bugbear, imho, which is that copyright is ridiculously restrictive (death + 70 !!).
But the creator's biggest bugbear - copyright enforcement - isn't really addressed. How would these proposals affect piracy? And if they don't, what's in them for the creators?

I would say though, that the present stupid arrangements virtually justify piracy - replacing them with something sensible (e.g. Ralph's ideas) would help reinstate respect for copyright, thereby negating many peoples' justifications for flouting it.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote