View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #57
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by entodoays View Post
I did use an sd rescue for 1.03 when I had 1.04 firmware installed because the 1.04 kernel did not work properly. But now I have the 1.05 kernel. I guess that the latest Sony firmware update did not update the kernel.

Is the kernel in the Diag partition? Is it safe to copy this partition from another Reader having the 1.05 firmware?
The problem is: the restore packages do not change/restore the kernel because during rooting, the kernel is not touched. (I am speaking of the normal kernel, not the recovery kernel)

Now, if you apply a Sony firmware update, it _may_ change the kernel. Not all firmware updates do overwrite the kernel, some only flash the system partition and leave the kernel like it was.

So, if the firmware update did change the kernel and you then apply a root or a restore package that does not match the firmware version, you may run into trouble.

As far as I remember, the 1.04 firmware update _does_ change the kernel.

What I do not understand is - how can you have a 1.05 kernel installed and simultaneously claim that 1.05 firmware did not change the kernel?

The only solution is: apply a restore set that matches the installed firmware version. This should restore the reader to a sane state.

Then do a factory reset, just in case.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote