View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
tokay
tokay began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some help/input.

After much research, I bought an ez reader at Fry's. But, it seems to be having a few problems. Because I may be returning the device to Fry's, I do not want to make major changes, like different firmware downloads. If any of these problems are addressed by changing the firmware, it would be helpful to know. So far I have tried lit, html, pdb, pdf, doc and mp3 files. Not all the problems are consistent across all the formats, but certainly some of the problems have occurred in multiple formats.

Some of the things I have encountered:

It consistently does not remember where it left off, and actually loses the page it was last on. Instead of returning to the most recent page, it comes up on a previous page, then when i go forward, it skips the page it should have started on as if it does not exist. For example, should start at page 70, actually comes up to page 68, shows 69 finishing a sentence. Page 70 is mid-sentence because it is really page 71, page 71 onward are fine, just missing the real page 70. I have found a work around but it takes some maneuvering to finally regain the 'lost' page.

As for book marks, say I am reading along, come to the beginning of a chapter, bookmark it, then continue reading. When I go to the next page it's blank. The pages after are okay, and the page numbers are correct, but the page immediately following the book mark is blank. Again, I have to maneuver to regain the missing text on the blank page. If I leave the book and re-enter, it may function correctly, but I have also re-entered on page 70 with my bookmarks gone, possibly because they were all placed well past page 70.

Reading along, everything is fine, just using the page turn button on the side, when the device suddenly resets to the menu. (It actually shows Astak start page on occasion before the book menu.) Nothing was near any of the other buttons. Power level is fine. [I have drained the power to the last bar once while using an audio book.]

It takes a while to load a book I am returning to, & when finished, it shows a page of rectangles instead of text, like when a web browser tries loading a page written in a language the browser does not have a font for. Moving to other pages eventually clears this. [actually, even when it is a short text, this has happened, and sometimes it's more difficult to clear]

Zoom does not always seem to work, sometimes have 2 levels sometimes 3, once I got a significantly larger text while passing through the zoom options, but the same document has never returned to that size again.

Listening to the audiobook, which is divided into 2-3 minute segments for playback, most of the changes between segments are very noticeable due to some loss of sound. There are a few words missing from each file.

What I am wondering is, are these issues particular to my device, or are these issues common to EZReaders?
tokay is offline   Reply With Quote