View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 05:23 AM   #431
Francois_C
Zealot
Francois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
There is no bulky bar on the Touch - or maybe you mean the zone with the page number? If the question was about hardware improvement, I would suggest that touch screens are fashionable but inconvenient gadgets, and good, real buttons are better. If your language is French, Turkish, Italian or another with many diacritics, you know that a virtual keyboard is a baffling problem (1)...
I agree with those complaining about opening the dictionary when you only need to search a name (which happens very often: dictionaries in the Kobo are of little use for learned readers, but, for instance you read a novel by Balzac, and you suddenly wonder: who is this one?). But this does not waste much time, as you can launch the search even if the dictionary window is open.
Fixing footnotes links would be more urgent to my mind. On my Touch, touching a note link most of the time turns the page or makes toolbars appear. On some books, most footnotes are unreachable, and touching one is always a hazardous adventure: if you can reach the note, you don't know whether you'll able to come back to your page...
(1) BTW, as we must keep a virtual keyboard, I noticed that the keyboard on Windows Mobile for my old Pocket PC is lots better, because it only emulates a true keyboard, with Shift, Ctrl, and direct access to letters with diacritics, instead of switching to another keyboard for only one character.
I never use smartphones nor tablets, but I guess this monstrous keyboard on the Kobo comes from Android (?)

Last edited by Francois_C; 02-01-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Francois_C is offline   Reply With Quote