Thread: Who Owns Ideas?
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #60
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
You and Acid are wrong. I am not calling it magic... I am saying the design and function of the brain is fundamentally different from the design and function of a computer processor, and that centuries of scientists have as yet not managed to figure out the exact workings of the brain (and since scientists who have been working on these concepts for quite some time haven't figured it out yet, I challenge whether either of you know the workings of the brain better than they do).

If you want to call a lack of knowledge "magic," in accordance to Clarke's Theorem, that's up to you. I call it "as-yet-undiscovered knowledge."
I'm with acidzebra on this. Okay I accept human brains are working fundamentally different than computers we konw. I accept that we don't know in detail how the brain works. However I donot accept that in the its also a "biochemicelectrical device" that gets input from our senses, and makes output through our muscles, altough having a strong history and through its chaotic nature a quite undeterminable behaviour. But anything going out is in some way a result of the input given throughout the lifetime into this "device".

The only other option IMHO you can go is to say, okay the output does not come from the input, but from another ethernal plane. From souls, from specific spiritual type that is special to the human as human, and cannot be duplicated by any other electronic. This is an opinion I don't share, but I accept as religious freedom. But it doesn't seem this is the option you went for either.

Just because we don't understand exactly how the brain works, I don't know where you say output should come from if not from input, and not from an ethernal out-of-this-world being like the soul.

Last edited by axel77; 09-23-2008 at 03:06 PM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote