View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Hi All,
I have never rooted a device and found different and, reading up on it yesterday, I found at times conflicting information on what to use to root the Nook ST. Can someone point me to the latest/ best way to do this?

I am asking because I picked up a Nook ST for $49 during the BF sale at Target, and would a) like to make sure I can back out of the root (?is that the right word even?) in case I don't like it and want to return the device. My motivation behind rooting it is that I read you can use the regular Google app store with it, meaning that I could put Overdrive and the Kindle/Kobo/Nook apps on it.

Is anyone here using their Nook ST like this? Can you switch back and forth between the Nook and the rooted interface? Does the micro SD card have to be empty when using it to backup and root the device, or I can I leave photos and music on it?
I rooted my NST (running firmware v1.1.2) using MinimalTouch method/tool, you can take a look at it to get a sense of what the rooting process entails and the end-state it yields. However, your NST might have firmware v1.2 (which was just recently released) in which case the rooting method/tool is still being ironed out.

To backup your NST prior to rooting it, I'd recommend the full-backup procedure described here. You can/should check the saved backup image by writing it to a SDcard and examine partition table of the card to see if it resembles the one described here.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote